BOC: A "dizzying excursion into Pearlman's world"

Ted Jackson Tjackson at SYR.EDU
Tue Sep 14 07:27:40 EDT 2004

>>> ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM 9/13/2004 7:24:48 PM >>>
 I'm the only one who kept notes, however, and I
know how hard everybody worked to make those records. It was always a
group effort but by the time we got to FoUO everybody was running out
of steam. But it doesn't diminish me to acknowledge the others. As I
said the only failure I will admit is You're Not the One because it
wasn't supposed to be on the record (OK it was my little joke and now
you all are in on it - even Tom Werman - after he heard it and liked
it
I didn't have the guts to tell him it was about him). Any other
failure
were brave failures (over-reaching/experiments that failed stuff) and
to me that's not real failure.

Well put.  I think that artists should be entitled to stretch out a
little,
esp. after say, their tenth album!  It would get pretty stale to keep
trying to re-write Cities on Flame, or Astronomy even.  Most musicians
draw from a variety of inspirations, and the fans have to be willing
to listen to new stuff.  But look how all us veteran fans grouse when
the
band doesn't play one of our faves, while others bitch because they
play too many chestnuts!

theo