BOC: A "dizzying excursion into Pearlman's world"

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 14 08:07:07 EDT 2004

Ted Jackson wrote:
> Most musicians
> draw from a variety of inspirations, and the fans have to be willing
> to listen to new stuff.  But look how all us veteran fans grouse when
> the
> band doesn't play one of our faves, while others bitch because they
> play too many chestnuts!

It's a fine line, I suppose, but there often seems to be that
indefinable bit of soul that makes you recognize a band as that band
even when the sound and even lineup can change radically.  And other
times, even apparently minimal changes can completely chuck the band's
"soul" out the window.

Motorhead still sounds like "Motorhead" to me, though there are
(surprisingly ;) actual objective changes to the way their songs work
and sound (surprisingly). God knows that _Magical Mystery Tour_ sounds
damn little like _Please Please Me_, but it sounds like the Beatles
(wheras, say, John Lennon's solo stuff generally doesn't feel really
that "Beatley" to me).  _Spectres_ sounds a lot different from _BOC_ to
me, but still like "BOC".  _Club Ninja_, erm, doesn't, for some reason.
  I was, however, willing to believe in _Imaginos_ as a "return to form"
(though it sounds little like other BOC albums) until I learned it was
nothing of the sort ;)  Still cool, though :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson