BOC: A "dizzying excursion into Pearlman's world"

John Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Tue Sep 14 12:30:54 EDT 2004

> Failures?...what failures...it's allllll goood!
> tim  8>)...

Actually, I think so.  I meant what were largely consider commercial
failures.

> Even "eyes on fire"?

Ain't one of my favorites, but I'll still listen to it.

Al's been very gracious to give credit where credit is due, especially
in light of the fact that it is almost universally acknowledged (at
least now if not then) that Al was one of the main driving forces
(certainly musically) behind the band, and that his departure left a
huge void.  Reading the book, however, helped reinforce the notion of
the "BOC Collective", and how certain things, despite being the
brainchild of a certain individual, just didn't make the cut until a
group analysis was applied.  Classic examples include "The Vigil" (the
original "Devil's Nail" lyrics by Patti Smith had to go to make this a
BOC song), and "Lips in the Hills" ("Hold me Tight"?  The riff may be
the same, but song sure ain't).

The fact that "You'e Not the One" is a BOC song, now that we know "the
rest of the story"...well, I for one think that's great.  A real Spinal
Tap moment for sure.  The drummer goes off and writes a stupid song
about the producer (ripping off another song in the process), and the
producer puts it on the album!  How cool is that?

Some would argue that BOC was "off message" once Agents of Fortune was
released - like you say, still cool...

I think part of it wasn't so much the lack of Bouchard et al providing
material, but the fact that the band lost self-confidence.  It took them
until Heaven Forbid (and maybe even Curse of the Hidden Mirror) to
really establish their creativity as a "band" again in some sense.

John