BOC: A "dizzying excursion into Pearlman's world"

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 14 13:00:32 EDT 2004

John Swartz wrote:
> Some would argue that BOC was "off message" once Agents of Fortune was
> released - like you say, still cool...

I can see why people would say that, but I restrict my feeling there to
"I like the writing on the first 4 albums better" :)  There's just too
much good weirdness on AoF and the followups! :)

> I think part of it wasn't so much the lack of Bouchard et al providing
> material, but the fact that the band lost self-confidence.  It took them
> until Heaven Forbid (and maybe even Curse of the Hidden Mirror) to
> really establish their creativity as a "band" again in some sense.

And while I applaud their efforts to create new stuff as a band, I gotta
confess that I haven't found either _HF_ or _CotHM_ to have better than
"well, that's kind of OK" on them :/  I hear flashes of BOC, but not yet
re-established BOC.  (Basically, when Buck has some good moments it
sounds like a solid Buck song, but I'd kinda like a bit richer diet than
that!)

Let's not delude ourselves -- old dude rockers are highly unlikely to
ever burn up the charts.  But old dude rockers can (and sometimes do)
make ass-whomping records anyway, and (this is just mah opinion heah!) I
don't think BOC have quite reached the place where they've said "Let's
just make an evil freaking record that will blow away anyone who listens
to it, even if there are only three of them. Damn it."

This is just ye standarde fan belly-aching though :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson