BOC: A "dizzying excursion into [3OC's] world"

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Sep 15 14:28:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:24:36 -0400, Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
wrote:
>Matt Abts's solos are pretty cool.  I hear he just got a "subwoofer"[1]
>for his bass drum that elevates the ass kicking up another notch.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul.
>
>[1] It looks like another bass drum fitted in front of his regular bass
>drum.  Weird...

Is it one of these?
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAP-SKRM100.html--src-
D0401IN0HAMS0000.html

They're based on the old studio technique of using a *speaker* as a
microphone to record a bass drum (since both microphones & speakers
convert between electrical signals and phsyical sound waves - by the same
token, you *could* theoretically use a microphone as a speaker, but you
would probably blow the diaphragm before the sound was loud enough to be
audible).  By mixing the signal (which is VERY low end) with a regular
microphone signal, you get an extra-deep bass drum sound (similar effect
to using a subwoofer) that can sound HUGE.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com