OFF:Worldcon

Rich cosmicdolphin at COMCAST.NET
Thu Sep 16 13:02:39 EDT 2004

It's in the History and Mystery Booklet, Bruford is listed under 'numerous
drummers' in 74/75, but seemingly not on the recording of Angels Egg or You.
I'd heard it was just one tour during that period.  Moerlen is listed as the
primary drummer during that period for the recordings.  He must have taken a
time out from live performance, or been doing extra percussion in addition
to having a drummer live.

I can't find any other reference to why Bruford was drumming.  Of course it
could have been a temporary Gong Family Spat, since Daevid was pretty much
booted from his own band ;-) Pip Pyle is also listed as having drummed again
for bits of that period, along with 2 other drummers.

Moerlen was indeed an excellent drummer and performer I saw him with Gong at
the Batuclan in paris in 1998. Superb!

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of Henderson Keith
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 8:01 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF:Worldcon

> Did Bruford last long enough to play on any gong albums?

>I wouldn't mind knowing that either; presumably he fitted in
>between Pyle and Moerlen, or was he post-_Angel's Egg_? Except that
>Moerlen's on _Fish Rising_ so presumably didn't fall out with anyone major
>just then.

Is there a Gong family tree by Pete Frame?  Maybe I dreamed that, but I seem
to remember it with Bruford's name in there.  Oh wait...maybe it's the one
Daevid Allen drew himself in that "Mystery and History" CD booklet?  Look in
there for Bruford's name, somebody who has it close at hand (my copy is in
the states).