BOC-L Digest - 9 Sep 2004 to 10 Sep 2004 (#2004-223)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Sep 22 11:36:34 EDT 2004

On 22/09/2004 15:34, CWarburton at OAG.COM wrote:
> Well, I don't know about "fun" as such, but the more I
> hear of the Foos, the more I like them.  I took Julius
> to see them (his first real gig) and we had a rocking
> good time

No doubt they rock and are doing better stuff than many, though just
kinda get more into the like of Monster Magnet's "we are _waay_ over the
top" schtick.  I mean, Dave Grohl is a stupidly successful rock star, so
he ought to sound like he's having a cooler time, IMO ;)  I should check
out his Probot project, maybe ....

> While I wouldn't knock tribute/cover bands - I was most entertained
> by Whole Lotta Led recently - I think that the large number of
> them that are touring may be having a stultifying effect on small
> venues.

Yeah, and while I think I may have been entertained by Whole Lotta Led
or someone like them at a gig a few years ago, I'd kinda rather hear a
proper band chuck a Zep song into the setlist.

(Recalling that I'm hardly one to speak -- the little band of "dudes
from the office" I play with has played almost entirely covers at its
few gigs, though now that the guys feel a bit more confident we've been
getting some more original material together ....)

>> Effing dead, so it is :P   Anyone want to start a no-frills spacerock
>> band? :)
>
> Sounds good to me, if we can synchronise our calendars and find a suitable location to rehearse...

Well, I know a place in Cambridge to rehearse -- but then, as you see,
it's in Cambridge!  Otherwise, we'll have to gather all virtual
spacerockers together to collaborate online (no-frills _hi-tech_
spacerock band ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--