OFF: sappy prog

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Sep 22 14:46:18 EDT 2004

Quoting Tom Clark <tclark at COX-INTERNET.COM>:

> I saw IQ several years ago while passing through London upon the
> recommendation of a Hawkfan
> who was browsing the Hawkwind section of an local record store.

I would never recommend them to a Hawkwind fan if I knew nothing else about
their taste.  That's silly.

> I had never
> heard of them at the time. It was the Subterranea tour.  Nothing else was
> happening that evening, so I ventured to the show.
>
> Overly melodramatic, and yep...whiney, sappy vocals, which made Phil Collins
> actually sound good in comparison.

I agree Pete Nichols' vocals can be an aquired taste, but I don't hear anything
sappy about them.  They do sound whiney I agree, and the melodrama is part of
the whole point of the genre.  ESPECIALLY on Subterranea which is a concept
album!

> Musically, I felt that it was a rip off of Genesis, Crimson, Marillion,
> Eloy, etc.

That sounds like something I'd expect to read in Rolling Stone...  Of course
they sound like Genesis!  That's part of the point.  Same should be said of
(old) Marilion.  Where is the Crimson and Eloy rip-off?  Isn't Eloy a "rip-off"
of Pink Floyd and Hawkwind?  It's amusing that you say they are a Marillion
rip-off since they both go back the same length of time (both released their
debut full-length albums in 1983 - one could even argue that IQ was earlier
since they released the cassette-only "demos" 7 Stories Into 8 in 1982).
Marillion is simply the better known of the two.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"We'll wait in stone circles `til the force comes through - lines