OFF: sappy prog

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Sep 22 15:00:36 EDT 2004

Quoting Henderson Keith <keith.henderson at PSI.CH>:

> DK said...
>
> Quoting Henderson Keith <keith.henderson at PSI.CH>:
>
> >>And then
> >>the prog band iQ plays at the Mean Fiddler on Dec. 11th, so I would
> >>plan to catch that show (OK, so I like sappy progrock, sue me) before
> >>heading home.
>
> >Whoh!  I have heard many terms used to describe IQ, but sappy is not one of
> >them (the occasional sappy song notwithstanding :-)  They are one of the
> >darkest neo-prog bands ever
>
> "Dark neo-prog" is an oxymoron IMHO.  :)

I disagree.  :-)

> No, I don't think iQ is dark.  They're "fake" dark, maybe.  I find them very
> warm, in fact.  Dreamy textures, the types of keyboards, the production?  I
> don't know what it is, but something takes true 'darkness' out of my mind
> when listening to them.

I disagree.  :-)

> Some of the Scandinavian bands are "true" dark IMHO.  Some
> Anekdoten, Circle, Landberk...those are much darker than iQ I think.

I agree.  :-)  Also in a totally different genre.

>  Maybe
> 'sappy' wasn't the right word, as I wasn't thinking of 'love-song' sappy
> (though iQ has done these occasionally too) but instead 'pretty' and
> 'non-edgy' sort of prog.  And that they are, whether it's due to production
> or the instrumentation.  Same as Marillion in that aspect (though Fugazi was
> produced vastly differently for some odd reason, and not at all very well
> IMHO...though in that way it had more edge, which for Marillion maybe wasn't
> the best thing, as it was thereby a bit 'forced').

You don't think Script for a Jester's Tear is dark?  I agree Fugazi was the
diferent.  It sounds like you're simply talking about production.  If a song is
about death and mostly in a minor key, that's pretty dark to me. A lot of IQ
songs fit that bill.  :-)

> >(though I seem to be the only one who thinks their latest,
> >Dark Matter, is not really all that dark)!
>
> I see no difference whatsoever between Dark Matter and Subterranea
> stylistically/soundwise, and indeed I like both albums quite a lot.  I don't
> have the one in the middle...I assume it was similar?

I think S and DM sound VERY different.  I'd say the one in the middle (Seventh
House) is kind of a mix.  Sounds kind of like Ever, but not always as dark.
:-)

> >Now they can definitely be sappy.  :-)  But I think Marbles is the best
> >thing they've done in years (but only the 2CD version with Ocean Cloud!)
>
> I got the 1CD version,

Which unfortunately leaves off the best song on the album.

> which was my first taste since the awful "Radiation."

The next two were pretty bad as well.

> But whereas some of the songs on Marbles (particularly Track 1) were rather
> nice (in studio), their live show was as boring as anything I've ever seen.
> They don't seem to have a clue about what works on stage and what doesn't.
> I won't ever go again I don't think.

Well, I'm going to see them in October.  I like the slow and atmospheric stuff.
:-) I've always thought they were great live, but I haven't seen them since This
Strange Engine (last time in the US).  That was actually a bad gig, but mainly
because here in Boston we got a very abbreviated setlist because Pete Trewavas
had just been mugged up in Montreal the night before!

> >When Caravan had to cancel the gig in Arlington, MA (two blocks away from
> >my house!) due to visa problems, I asked for a refund...
>
> Hmmm...Nektar are really (still) very good.

I was somewhat disappointed with them at NEARFest, whereas I thought Caravan
kicked ass.  I was taking my wife because she likes Caravan a lot, but Nektar
isn't really her cup of tea.

>  Their live performances have
> *twice* the energy as their discs, the exact opposite of Marillion, Marbles
> vintage.

I think that's comparing apples and oranges.

>  (My first Marillion show, Cleveland-Seasons End tour, was
> *outstanding*...everything that they are *not* these days.)

I saw them at the Stone Pony in New Jersey that tour.  They were definitely
great, but I also saw the 3 hour show in Poughkeepsie at The Chance for This
Strange Engine.  It was the last night of the tour and they did something like
5 encores.  It was an amazing show.  It was also the official beginning of the
relationship between me and my wife, so maybe I'm biased.  :-)

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"We'll wait in stone circles `til the force comes through - lines