Beautiful South cover (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Tony tony.orourke at TALK21.COM
Tue Sep 28 17:06:11 EDT 2004

http://www.beautifulsouth.co.uk/bs/album.php
(Don't Fear) The Reaper

"The bleakly toe-tapping light metal classic re-imagined as a Latin
salsa. No, really

"Dave Rotheray was playing the riff in the studio and Damon, our
keyboardist, joined in and, to be honest, I don't think he knew what the
song was. So he just began to play this very Latin piano riff and Steady
fell in and I wanted to say, no, let's stop this right here but it sort
of suits it. Alison [Wheeler - co-vocalist] had no idea what the song
was. I always thought they were German because of that umlaut in the
name but they were from New York. Great lyrics but no idea what he's
singing about. '40,000 men and women every day'. What does that mean?""