OFF: Hi Again

Wed Sep 29 17:19:22 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> I never found either QotSA or the Foo Fighters fully satisfying. I mean,
> the Foos particularly have occasionally turned out well-crafted little
> pop-rock numbers -- I'll snap fingers whilst humming along to "Times
> Like These" with the best of 'em -- I've never warmed to either band's
> output as a whole.  They just never seemed like enough _fun_.
>
> Both QotSA and the Foos seemed to benefit from Grohl's association with
> the former, but now ..... eh, there's not so much to lose, IMO.

        Well, I played _Songs for the Deaf_ to death when I got it, and I
still think it's very good though now I rarely feel the urge to play
it. And the second one, _R_, that was also pretty good though less
successfully contained in the MTV2 straitjacket. But it's undeniable I
think that Grohl gave them the extra pace and credibility to break into
that market, both by drumming and by celebrity, and while they might not
now need the latter I wonder if they can, without Nick either who did,
like, contribute almost all the fast numbers or so it sometimes seems,
really find the former again.

        I'd like to see them continue to succeed just because it shows
that archetypal stoners with a big affection for HW and the down-tuned
sludge riff have the possibility of commercial success, you know? The fact
that the records are good enough to be worth listening to is a bonus for a
whole different set of reasons, such as for one radio I don't hate all the
time.

> Effing dead, so it is :P   Anyone want to start a no-frills spacerock
> band? :)

        Well, yes. But I've been saying this for years and every time I
say it I seem to have even less money[1] than the too little that
prevented me agreeing to in the first place... Yours,
                                                      Jon

[1] I leave aside such trifles as my complete lack of musical talent
naturally.
ObCD: Neu! - _Neu!_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)