dr. who

Arin Komins akomins at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Apr 4 09:26:16 EDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, M Holmes wrote:

:Subject: Re: dr. who

:Ian Abrahams writes:
:
:> Oh God I hope not. That was done cleverly *once* and really should never
:> have been done again. And another bit of nonsense was jettisoned last night
:> from the programme!
:
:It's a good idea to dump the whole Gallifrey schtick as it gets back to
:the original Mysterious Doctor idea. Too many of the Timelord plots had
:the series basically crawling up its own arse.
:
:I dunno what it could really mean that the Timelords have all ben
:destroyed since as time-travellers, they could just go back to before
:the destruction and stop it.

ahhh, but that violates the Laws of Time.  (Of course, they've violated
laws of time in the past, but eh, just being geeky.)

As for me, I'll beg to differ.  I *liked* Gallifrey and being able to see
into the Doctor's past.  I always thought it helped in Doctor character
development to see the things that he was rebelling against.  Made
him...well, more understandable.

("mysterious doctor", notwithstanding ;-) ).

Mainly, I think I'm a bit upset at the ....suddenness of it all.  I would
have liked to have seen the story showing Gallifrey's end.

I thought the iPod ref is going to date the show very quickly.  Good for
some cheap laughs, but that's about it.

...and I'm still trying to get used to a whole story in a 45 minute block.
No wonder everything seems so damn compressed.

Arin
(still adjusting)
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Assistant Director/ENSS
University of Chicago/NSIT/ENSS                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #418    Chicago, IL 60637      fax: (773)702-0559