dr. who

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Apr 4 23:39:03 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 14:37 -0400, GutterCat at AOL.COM wrote:

> I think it will be The Master though... however, he has used all his
> regenerations. So how do they get around that?  I think that is something they are
> going to have to update if they are to carry on with the Doctor Who series with
> different actors playing the part.

There is a BBC Three series called "Doctor Who Confidential," which is a
behind-the-scenes look at the new series.  In the episode about bringing
back Doctor Who, they basically said they did away with regenerations
because it would confuse the kiddies (the target audience).  The gist I
got is that anything that relies on deep continuity would be
conveniently ignored/glossed over, because the target audience would not
have been alive when those episodes were made and so would lack the
necessary background knowledge/appreciation.  They also explained that
they specifically didn't want a regeneration sequence for the new Doctor
as a way of making a sort of break with the past and re-introducing
things anew in a way.

In other words, they would adhere more to the spirit than to the letter
of what had gone before.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu