OFF: dr. who

Wed Apr 6 18:26:23 EDT 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, M Holmes wrote:

> Chris Allen writes:
>
> > > All in all though, I'd rather have seen them do Jerry Cornelius instead.
> > > He's a hip British time-traveller after all and the whole Sixties thing
> > > could lend the appropriate level of humour.  Trips out from Time Central
> > > could easily lend itself to an episodic format.  Mind you, they probably
> > > couldn't have Bishop Beesely bugger anyone with a Mars Bar and hope to
> > > air it before the kids went to bed.
>
> > Dammit we need a remake of The Time Tunnel for the new millennium.
>
> The trouble with TTT and to an extent Quantum Leap was that they tended
> to be primers in "History of the US". It'd be nice to think that they
> could do some sort of Jerry Cornelius series without resorting to that.

        It'd have to be a kind of primer in world history, all the
same; there's such a strong colonial/Great Powers background to so much of
the Cornelius stuff, and so much concentration on cities and their
characteristics... You'd more or less have to just take the characters and
the Multiverse, and some but not much of the deep background, and then
write new material round them. Which'd be kind of a shame as it'd likely
omit the incest, drug abuse, bisexuality and orbits round characters with
prejudices you couldn't screen nowadays which make the whole thing, well,
Jerry Cornelius. Contrast to _Distant Suns_ which doesn't have most of
this stuff and really doesn't count as a Cornelius novel don't you
think? Yours,
              Jon

ObLP: Bevis Frond - _Son of Walter_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)