OFF: Sky Cries Mary

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 7 09:38:22 EDT 2005

--- David Kuznick <dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU>
wrote:

> I liked their earlier stuff, but I gave up after
> Moonbathing on Sleeping Leaves.
> I remember just being irritated by it, but I guess
> I should go back and give it
> another listen.

True, it wasn't as good as the earlier stuff, or at
least not as consistent.  But 'An Ant, The Stars, an
Owl and Its Prey" is my favorite SCM song of all.
Brilliant dreamy space rock.  And the 'Smoke
Break/Want' sequence, from what I remember, is quite
good too.  The only thing they did after this album
(apart from a compilation with some rarities) was a
four-track CD-EP called Seeds, which was really very
good IMHO.

A very creative bohemian lot, that I feel privileged
to have seen live, given that they hardly ever left
the state of Washington to play live.  (In fact, I had
to go *to* Seattle to see them, at the Womad
festival.)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  The second Hana CD (Alisa Romano & Jeff Greinke)
entitled "Omen" I recommend too.  I like her singing
alone better than the duo style with her husband.
Their voices don't match well IMHO, but separately
they're both fine.  The one problem with SCM that I
always had.