OFF: dr. who

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Apr 7 15:04:03 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:43:38 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:

>Jon Jarrett writes:
>
>[Jerry Cornelius on TV...]
>
>> Which'd be kind of a shame as it'd likely
>> omit the incest, drug abuse, bisexuality and orbits round characters
>> with prejudices you couldn't screen nowadays which make the whole
>> thing, well,

The prejudice/rascism thing would probably be the most difficult thing to
get on tv these days, I think (although I wonder if anyone in the US even
knows that "wog" is a rascist term ... or what it originally stood for).

>Bisexuality wouldn't be (heh) out. Hell, it's almost mandatory in TV
>soaps these days.

Yes, but only amongst attractive females.  Definitely not fat men in
mitres (which may be a good thing, come to think of it)!  I'd love to see
the outcry from offended catholics, though.

>Incest could probably only be implied,

Subtext is everything ...

>and drug use only if bad consequences are portrayed.

At least there ARE lots of bad consequences in the Cornelius stories, so
that would probably be possible to work in.

>With a little skillful writing I
>don't think the character needs to change hugely, though it certainly
>wouldn't be an exact copy from the books either.

That would be great fun, although I can't possibly imagine it actually
happening ... oh well ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com