OFF: Porcupine Tree

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Apr 7 21:44:00 EDT 2005

Quoting Albert Bouchard <ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM>:

> On Apr 7, 2005, at 5:50 PM, Tony wrote:
>
> > What does this list think of Porcupine Tree?  I'm only a recent
> > convert to
> > them, only having heard a couple of tracks from their last album - In
> > Absentia.  But I have to say I'm now a fan!  I saw them last weekend
> > during
>
> I think I like them. I have one album (I think it's their first) that's
> mostly laid back instrumental prog stuff

Al, I doubt you have the first one if that's how you describe it.  It's also
tricky to define their "first" album;  :-)  there were some cassette-only
releases, partially collected on Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape - On the Sunday of
Life is usually considered the first "proper" album, though it was very much a
one-man-band then.  The early stuff is a lot of psychedelia, with not a lot of
"prog", though there is some.  It's almost like Floyd's Piper at the Gates of
Dawn, at times (Yellow Hedgrerow Dreamscape and On the Sunday of Life
especially).  But they (though for a long while it was really "he"; Steve
Wilson) have changed styled a lot over the years, but I like all of it, though
In Absentia didn't really grab me, and I probably listen to that one the least.
  It's funny because I saw the tour where they previewed much of it and it
sounded GREAT.  Something happened on the way to the studio...  I am looking
forward to the new one, Deadwing, though I know it's supposed to be a lot like
In Absentia.  But they are always fantastic live, and I'll be seeing them 2nd
row center next month at the Somerville Theater here in the Boston area.

And along with King Crimson, they are my wife's favorite prog band.  :-)  Though
her favorite song is Radiactive Toy, and they never seem to play that anymore.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"You should have seen the curse that flew right by you