OFF: Porcupine Tree/iTMS

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Apr 8 05:50:54 EDT 2005

On 08/04/2005 02:00, Albert Bouchard wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005, at 5:50 PM, Tony wrote:
>> What does this list think of Porcupine Tree?
> I think I like them. I have one album (I think it's their first) that's
> mostly laid back instrumental prog stuff but the first day we were in
> the studio to record our new album Paul Special played the first cut
> from their new one and I was quite impressed. It sounded a bit like
> what we're trying to do with our new stuff. I'm tempted to download it
> from iTMS because I don't have the patience to get it from the store
> and maybe I only want that one cut anyway.
 > [...]
> I have bought many tunes from iTMS and the sound is really OK. Usually
> I burn it to CD and listen on my boom box or diskman. I got Frances the
> Mute and it has provided me with many hours of enjoyment.

In the interests of science, I checked iTMS UK, and found that they
would indeed sell me Frances the Mute for 8 pounds.  Then I checked
Amazon.co.uk, and found that some US-based reseller would sell me the CD
for GBP 6.20 inc. postage.  Likewise for the new Porcupine Tree
(_Deadwing_, no?) sells for 9 quid on iTMS, though a few pence less for
a US-based reseller to send me the disc.  So the physical media is still
the winner for me (though I have to have the patience to wait a couple
o' weeks for it to show up).

Though the point about only wanting given tracks is well taken.  I dig
that Hendrix "Ezy Ryder" track from First Rays, but dunno if I'll dig
the rest of the album (I like Hendrix well enough, but I'm not a crazed
fan or anything).  I'd pay 80p to get that track (though I haven't,
yet), but I'd rather pay a pound for a CD-quality audio file (though,
yeah, I listen to homemade 128kbps AACs all the time and they sound all
right).

BTW, the most downloaded tBS track on iTunes UK is "Bad Hair Day"! :)

Cheers,
Carl