OFF: Porcupine Tree

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 8 14:23:05 EDT 2005

Chris said...

--- Chris Raymond <chrisr at TIAC.NET> wrote:
> That should be Magnu sounding track called "Out"
>
> I had thought that the track had been rereleased,
> but not sure of that.

Yeah, AFAIK, it was stuck onto the vinyl (reissue)
version of 'Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape' (was it?) by
Mr. Ace of Discs, Mr. Piper, aka Gates of Dawn.  In
place of the Prince cover tune.  Good choice, IMHO.
It's a cool song, in any case, and goes into a version
of It Will Rain in a Million Years that is completely
different than the later version, such that this
totally obscure cassette Life, Death and Mussolini is
critical in some way to have access to.  I got a CDR
transfer in fact, from some guy named Chris Raymond I
think.

Thanks for that.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Yeah, Porcupine Tree, good band.  They used to
be a psychedelic band.  And nowadays are a prog-metal
band, with a few pop songs here and there.  No matter,
still great stuff.  And if you like krautrock, check
out Steven Wilson's I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding
Mindfuck)...at times, even better.  Signify, and that
live album Coma Divine (recommended here by someone
else) are the best IMHO.  Only Lightbulb Sun I don't
much care for.  The new one *is* very much like In
Absentia (some will say *too* similar), but there are
four tracks (or so) that are real winners
irregardless.  Um...is it not out worldwide yet?  Here
in central Europe, it's been out 10 days or more.
Strange.  In the liner notes, it says that Wilson and
some other guy have built up some sort of screenplay
or something on this 'Deadwing' story (?), so perhaps
Mr. Wilson's interested in brancing out into some more
multimedia related.  I'm not sure...the lyrics are
usually abstract (and limited) enough to give very
little in terms of a coherent 'story' to any album.  I
never get the 'concept' feeling from any PTree
project.  And here it's the same.  I should try to pay
more attention, but the lyrics are not printed in the
booklet, so it's difficult to follow along.