OFF: Porcupine Tree

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Apr 8 14:44:22 EDT 2005

Quoting Keith Henderson <khenders64 at yahoo.com>:

> Chris said...
>
> --- Chris Raymond <chrisr at TIAC.NET> wrote:
> > That should be Magnu sounding track called "Out"
> >
> > I had thought that the track had been rereleased,
> > but not sure of that.
>
> Yeah, AFAIK, it was stuck onto the vinyl (reissue)
> version of 'Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape' (was it?)

That's correct.

> by
> Mr. Ace of Discs, Mr. Piper, aka Gates of Dawn.  In
> place of the Prince cover tune.  Good choice, IMHO.

I like The Cross on YHD.  :-P  But I'd like to hear Out someday too..

> P.S.  Yeah, Porcupine Tree, good band.  They used to
> be a psychedelic band.  And nowadays are a prog-metal
> band, with a few pop songs here and there.

I'm not sure I'd call them prog-metal, though they are a lot heavier recently.
Probably Steve Wilson hanging out and producing Opeth influence... :-)

> No matter,
> still great stuff.  And if you like krautrock, check
> out Steven Wilson's I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding
> Mindfuck)...at times, even better.

Yes, that's very good stuff.  As is Metanoia.

> Signify, and that
> live album Coma Divine (recommended here by someone
> else) are the best IMHO.  Only Lightbulb Sun I don't
> much care for.

Took a while to grow on me, but I really like it now.

> The new one *is* very much like In
> Absentia (some will say *too* similar), but there are
> four tracks (or so) that are real winners
> irregardless.  Um...is it not out worldwide yet?

No.  US release is April 26th.

> Here
> in central Europe, it's been out 10 days or more.
> Strange.  In the liner notes, it says that Wilson and
> some other guy have built up some sort of screenplay
> or something on this 'Deadwing' story (?), so perhaps

Video is on the website I think.

> Mr. Wilson's interested in brancing out into some more
> multimedia related.  I'm not sure...the lyrics are
> usually abstract (and limited) enough to give very
> little in terms of a coherent 'story' to any album.  I
> never get the 'concept' feeling from any PTree
> project.  And here it's the same.  I should try to pay
> more attention, but the lyrics are not printed in the
> booklet, so it's difficult to follow along.

At least he doesn't simply mumble everything anymore.  :-)  I like his voice a
lot.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"You should have seen the curse that flew right by you