OFF: Porcupine Tree/iTMS

Mon Apr 11 10:01:10 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> Though the point about only wanting given tracks is well taken.  I dig
> that Hendrix "Ezy Ryder" track from First Rays, but dunno if I'll dig
> the rest of the album (I like Hendrix well enough, but I'm not a crazed
> fan or anything).  I'd pay 80p to get that track (though I haven't,
> yet), but I'd rather pay a pound for a CD-quality audio file (though,
> yeah, I listen to homemade 128kbps AACs all the time and they sound all
> right).

        Speaking as a crazed fan, I think you should definitely get the
whole album because it's got some great stuff on it, most especially the
title track but a bunch of others too. It's very much as if the Hendrix
family gathered up all the posthumous releases, put the best stuff onto
that disc (_First Rays of the New Rising Sun_) and then piled the rest
onto _South Saturn Delta_ for the hardcore fans only. There is some
interesting stuff on the latter, but it's in no way the coherent album it
sort of looks like, and a significant portion of it is variant versions of
stuff on other discs. _New Rising Sun_ however is probably a fair attempt
at putting together the _Electric Ladyland_ follow-up it was supposed to
be.

        But you as I recall don't have _Axis_ and that's something you
should really sort out first! :-) Yours,
                                         Jon

ObCD: Farflung - _Nine Pin Body_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)