OFF: Porcupine Tree

John Majka jmajk at INDY.RR.COM
Mon Apr 11 10:33:57 EDT 2005

I do enjoy Porcupine Tree quite a bit, but In Absentia left me cold.  To my
ears, it sounds rather derivative of the then-current metal fashion (which
is, thankfully, already fading).  I am extremely disappointed to hear that
Deadwing is supposedly in a similar metal-ish vein.  All of that sort of
faux-gothic imagery and lyrical content is... funny!  It seems there is
quite a bit of criticism of Lightbulb Sun, but I still think that album is
their most fully realized one, in that it successfully blends their rambling
psychedelic tendencies with song structures and very solid lyrics.  Stupid
Dream is a close second.

John Majka