Collectors item!

David Greenhalgh greenhalgh.david at NTLWORLD.COM
Mon Apr 11 15:39:13 EDT 2005

Worked for me.

Here is the item description for any who can't read it.

A wonderful Synthi AKS, in perfect playing condition, with some
excellent mods, and a fascinating history. The EMS is originally
thought to have belonged to Tim Blake, who sold it to Nik Turner (they
shared a flat in London in 1973). Nik used it with Hawkwind, as did
Simon House apparently, and Nik took it with him when he left in 1976.
It was then used with his successive band, Inner City Unit, and sold
after their last gig.  It has the following modifications:  1.
Oscillator temperature stabilisation on VCO's 1 & 2.  2. A 3.5mm Gate
Input socket, which accepts positive triggers (ie Roland, Kenton
Midi/CV etc).  3. Oscillator sync on VCO2. The source can be either
VCO's 1 or 3.  4. Oscillator shape modulation, via the 2mm connector
near the patchboard. A lead is included so that any source can be used
via the patchboard.  5. Input Channel 2 keyboard disable switch. Useful
if you want to process external signals whilst the sequencer is
connected.  6. Sequencer transpose switch. Normal position is to the
left. Once a sequence is running, move the switch to the right and the
keyboard can be used to transpose the sequence to any key. It suffered
one or two little accidents in the heat of the moment live, including
apparently once being thrown right across the stage during one
particularly good argument. But it has been superbly restored by Lucid
Sound, with the invaluable help of Robin at EMS - who reconditioned the
reverb, supplied replacement parts and offered great advice. The
outside of the case has the Inner City Unit logo sprayed on it in a
cavalier fashion, and the metalwork of the case is tarnished. All knobs
and pins are excellent; the surface has some wear, but everything with
the exception of a few numbers round the left output knob is easily
readable. In certain lights you can see the remains of some felt-tip
crosses showing a favourite patch on the matrix.  The sequencer overlay
is new old stock.  This is a truly great instrument. The sync is
stunning, picking out beautiful harmonic arpeggios that sound like a
brilliant sequence; and the sequence transpose itself is something that
every AKS should have - excellent.