more dodgy CD's?

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Apr 15 08:17:44 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:03 +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> Paul Mather writes:
>
> > I know that, in a sense, we on here partially police the situation
> > inasmuch as we tend to discover and mention on BOC-L when dodgy auctions
> > related to the band crop up on eBay.  (This happens a lot on other music
> > mailing lists.)  But, I guess, that doesn't necessarily mean the
> > information gets to someone who can do something about it.  Is there a
> > "report a dodgy eBay auction" link on the official Hawkwind Web site,
> > should someone feel inclined to do their Hawkwind civic duty?  Do the
> > band even want such reports?
>
> What happens if we report to Ebay? Does it have to be a copyright holder
> to make Ebay jump?

It has been my experience that they'll e-mail you back some standard
boilerplate reply about how only the VeRO representative can ask for
infringing auctions to be removed.  If you are lucky and the auction
text happens to define the item as being illegitimate for listing (e.g.,
a CD-R) they might take it down.

So, unless you're the VeRO, you're unlikely to get far.  That probably
accounts for a lot of the vigilante bidding sabotage that people engage
in to try and wreck auctions for dodgy items.  I know on the Gov't Mule
list that a favourite tactic is to contact the current bidders and offer
a B&P copy of the live show being auctioned if the lister won't take
down the auction voluntarily.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu