more dodgy CD's?

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Apr 15 09:20:10 EDT 2005

Quoting Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>:

> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:03 +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> > Paul Mather writes:
> >
> > > I know that, in a sense, we on here partially police the situation
> > > inasmuch as we tend to discover and mention on BOC-L when dodgy auctions
> > > related to the band crop up on eBay.  (This happens a lot on other music
> > > mailing lists.)  But, I guess, that doesn't necessarily mean the
> > > information gets to someone who can do something about it.  Is there a
> > > "report a dodgy eBay auction" link on the official Hawkwind Web site,
> > > should someone feel inclined to do their Hawkwind civic duty?  Do the
> > > band even want such reports?
> >
> > What happens if we report to Ebay? Does it have to be a copyright holder
> > to make Ebay jump?
>
> It has been my experience that they'll e-mail you back some standard
> boilerplate reply about how only the VeRO representative can ask for
> infringing auctions to be removed.  If you are lucky and the auction
> text happens to define the item as being illegitimate for listing (e.g.,
> a CD-R) they might take it down.

I once reported a Russian posting of an obviously pirated copy of the Marillion
"Marbles" album because the tracklisting was different and it was taken down.

It can't hurt to try.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"You should have seen the curse that flew right by you