New Pope don't rock

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 21 14:59:09 EDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:44:51 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:

>Paul Mather writes:
>
>> I just read yesterday on the Grauniad that the US (at the urging of
>> Bush) has blocked the addition of certain abortion pills from the UN
>> list of "essential medicines."  It's estimated that this will sentence
>> approximately 68,000 women in poor countries to die every year from
>> complications of having surgical abortions in poor operating conditions
>> or using unsafe practices.
>
>Oh come on. It won't sentence anyone to anything. They could respond by
>just not having an abortion.

Yes, it's so simple, isn't it?

In fact one of the major uses of the "abortion pill" in southern Africa (and
probably other places as well, I just know more about SA) is to induce
termination of pregnancy in girls who have become pregnant as a result of
rape, something which is horrfiyingly common in many areas. The withdrawal
of this option will indeed be sentencing these girls to either a) dodgy
"bush medicine" surgery as Paul outlined, or b) becoming the mother of a
"rape baby". Quite a choice.

Nick