Hakwind prices on Ebay

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Fri Apr 22 09:23:46 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:12:48AM -0400, Stephen Swann wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 07:14:46PM +0400, Alisa wrote:
> > One question - how is the sound quality? Is it a copy from cd version or
> > from vinyl?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Alisa
>
> Sound quality is very good to excellent on the main
> album.  It sounds like a professionally mastered CD.
>
> On the bonus tracks, the sound quality is "pretty
> good"; heck, better than many of the more commonly
> available Hawkwind albums.  Couldn't swear that they
> weren't ripped from vinyl, because the occasional
> distortion could be from a badly aligned needle or it
> could be an artifact of the original cheapo recording.
> I haven't gone through it with headphones, but I didn't
> notice any telltale needle hiss or dusk clicks.

And just to clarify yet further, when I talk about
distortion and cheapo recording, it's really not that
bad, and I'm really only referring to Drug Cabinet Key
(which is pretty cool song, too - reminds me vaguely of
the driving, relentless rythm of Valium 10).  Who's
Gonna Win the War doesn't quite match Palace Springs or
The Business Trip for clarity, but it's pretty damn
good.

Overall, I'm really getting over my disappointment with
not getting a "real" Charisma copy of Hawklords... :)

--
Steve Swann    | Speak to me in many voices, make
swann at cugc.org |     them all sound like one