NIK: Burg Herzberg etc.

Wed Aug 3 13:46:33 EDT 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Keith Henderson wrote:

        <snip Keith baring the American Psyche>

> P.S.  What is an I-dog?  Is that some sort of new Apple MP3 product?  :)

        Well, the name actually belongs to a kind of toy dog shell for an
iPod which Sega sell, very kawaii...:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ployer.com/archives/idog-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ployer.com/archives/2005/03/idog.php&h=435&w=350&sz=16&tbnid=38_TR58bOcMJ:&tbnh=123&tbnw=98&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3DI-Dog%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

        But Angie has the cheapskate remote-control toy dog version that's
also picked up the name because it looks like an iMac's little cousin:

http://www.firstukltd.co.uk/actiontoys.html

        Only picture of the thing I can find, it's the fourth item on
that oage. Strictly children's toys, we had one till Benedict or Kirsten
managd to break it.

> P.P.S.  Unrelated question...What is the proper definition/translation
> of this British word ´twee´?  I thought I kinda knew, but I´ve
> recently seen it in totally different context and now I´m confused.

        Umph, it's like the negative side of `quaint'. Merriam-Webster
Online he say:

 Pronunciation: 'twE
 Function: adjective
 Etymology: baby-talk alteration of sweet
chiefly British : affectedly or excessively
dainty, delicate, cute, or quaint <such a theme
might sound twee or corny -- Times Literary Supplement>

        Which is about as good as I can get for a definition. Yours,
                                                                    Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - _Hawkwind 1997_
--
    Jonathan Jarrett    "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
    Birkbeck College     but stands also delivered by some good author."