HW: Promo Single (on E-Bay)

Sun Aug 14 20:21:54 EDT 2005

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Colin Allen wrote:

> It does not seem to work that way on E-Bay; kollektors tend to bid whatever
> they think that item is worth and I would assume that they are the main
> market for this as every fan who wants one can get one.

        I can think of one happy counter-example to this, which is a good
enough story to be worth telling. Occasionally you'll all have seen me
rave about a US hardcore/stoner band of high weirdness called
Clutch. Their first EP now goes for silly money, usually about USD50 for
the first issue. Now, one really long-time fan of theirs had to finance
some medical treatment I think for his wife, and eventually had to start
selling his collection, and that USD50 started to look essential and so he
bit the bullet and put his copy of this EP on E-Bay. But he'd already told
people on the Clutch message board he was going to have to do this, so
unbeknownst to him they banded together and bid about USD250 for it. Then
once he had the money they sent him the EP back with an explanation.

        I thought that was pretty cool when I heard it. Maybe it has to be
the *right* Kollectors. Yours,
                                Jon

Ob2LP: Bevis Frond - _Son of Walter_
--
    Jonathan Jarrett    "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
    Birkbeck College     but stands also delivered by some good author."