HW: Promo Single (on E-Bay)

Thu Aug 18 16:56:15 EDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Jeff Perkins wrote:

> Surely the whole point of the promo-cd is to raise awareness about the
> imminent new releases about to appear.

        <snip>

> For the rest of us we'll listen to it a couple of times then shelve it
> when the real thing emerges shortly after. I don't seem to recall people
> being questioned about their loyalty to the band for selling genuine
> rarities that they owned on these lists. If someone were willing to part
> with their only copy of Warrior, ASAM or 25 Years they'd be very popular
> (for a while) rather than pilloried.

        I see the point there, but I'm not sure the comparison quite
works. This is only a rarity in some odd ways; given that we can all get
one for free, or at least for negligible postage, its market value should
be low, whereas _Warrior_ etc. are quite the reverse because they're so
hard to find. Then there's the old traders' ethic that what is sold can be
sold but what was free shouldn't be; so sell albums but only trade
bootlegs, and so on. Not everyone subscribes to this of course but if you
do, then reselling this promo (and I agree with you, it *is* a promo item
no matter what MCPS would call it) is clearly `forbidden'.

        And then, what with HW currently being so down on any trading, I
can't imagine they'd be happy about it whatever colour the dealing
took. I do kind of wish that if Rik were going to snipe at people for
personal reasons on-list, he'd not use the Official Hawkwind Address to do
it, or at least sign himself. I don't imagine Dave or Kris would be any
happier with the situation but it'd be nice if it were clear that it's not
they who have spoken here. The style may not be identifiable to
everyone... Yours,
                   Jon

ObCD: Gas Giant - _Pleasant Journey in Heavy Tunes_
--
    Jonathan Jarrett    "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
    Birkbeck College     but stands also delivered by some good author."