Off: CD Promo

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Aug 31 16:38:44 EDT 2005

Paul Mather writes:

> Lots of fans, including some Kollectors on this list, have bought
> Hawkwind promos in their time.

Guilty as charged M'lud and I'd like several other charges taken into
account.  In fact had I not paid a large sum to a certain person for the
Brian Matthews BBC Transcription Disc (still AFAIK the only one around?)
then none of us would have heard the Maida Vale '72 versions of Silver
Machine and Brainstorm featuring Lemmy.  Certainly I'm sure it was
illegal to sell discs that were BBC Copyright, as well as music
copyrighted to Hawkwind.

I'm still cross about how it got bootlegged to CD for sale (a friend
promised if I gave him a tape, it wouldn't go any further, and apart
from Jill, that was the only tape of it around - even Bernhard didn't
get a copy at the time, and we all know how persistent he can be ;-)

I'm sure we'd all have preferred it to be on an official CD as was under
discussion at the time (hell, I'd still like to see that, particularly
if we could clip it with the video of that era that's said to be around
sans sound) but nevertheless, I'm sure we'd all rather we'd heard it
than that it was still in Mister BBC Transcription Disc's attic (is he
still in business?)

In short, a lot of strange stuff gets done in Records Land and as I've
said before, if we're going to get all Police State about bad behaviour
and disrespect, then there are people who are far more damaging to the
cause we should be reserving our ammo for.

In short, I again agree with Paul, even though that's twice in a single
year.

FoFP