[OFF] Re: We had to destroy the industry to save it

Alex S. Garcia asg at MVDBASE.COM
Fri Dec 9 18:57:07 EST 2005

> It's a tough one really.  From the point of view of the consumer, I would
> like everything for free!  However, lyrics are no different from books or
> other copyrighted works.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, look at the facts: 99% of the time you
will now have the lyrics included when you buy a CD. Doesn't this mean that
they are included in the price, or, technically speaking, that they are
offered for free if you buy the CD? Of course, this brings up another
question: why look up the lyrics if you already have the album with them? One
could conclude that only people with pirated copies are looking for the
lyrics, but this isn't necessarily true. I mean there could be plenty of
reasons for looking up lyrics: the printed copy might be difficult to read
(characters too small, weird font, etc) or more simply a listener might want
to have it on their computer for easier access and not want to bother with
typing it themselves (copy-pasting would be much easier, heheh)... It's also
possible, for older albums, that the listener owns the original release,
without the lyrics, and that he doesn't feel like buying a rerelease just to
have the lyrics...

Tabs, though, are an entirely different story since they don't offer those in
the booklets (yet?), but still... this seems to me like a really stupid move,
and most likely done for the wrong reasons... like it says on that page,
they're bitter about how things have gone with filesharing, so it looks to me
like they're doing this mostly as a way to compensate/get revenge/whatever
word you want to use, but you get the idea.

> They are protected and they are a source of
> income for the author, composer, etc.  I don't know if war is being
> declared.  More that it's not as "peaceful" as it once was.

Seriously. How big a market is this? I must have bought one or two "tab
books" (or whatever they're called) in my life... granted, I'm not a
musician, but this can't possibly be that big a market, can it? I dunno, it
just sounds to me like a really poor excuse. I really doubt the artists are
expecting to earn a living out of selling tabs in any case. Heck, I'm even
wondering if they actually earn anything out of it? I wouldn't be surprised
if all the earnings from those sells just went to the labels or whatnot.

Alex.
Progressive rock : prog.xrs.net / rip.xrs.net