HW: OFF - Mike Holmes on TV

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Dec 19 09:27:42 EST 2005

Alan Taylor writes:

> Anyone just see Mike on Channel 4's Demolition program, talking about
> the Scottish Parliament building?

Bastards. I made it very clear that I was against the building because of
the cost overrun (435 million instead of the quoted 39 million) and
all the lying about it by the politicians and their evil minions, rather
than anything particularly about the architecture. I asked that if the
used anything, to quote me as saying "Knock it down and give them a
cowshed and deckchairs: the more comfortable they are, the more often
they'll meet, and the worse off we'll all become."

Instead they quote an offhand line about how it looks like a Hall of
Residence. To cap it all they have some wanker saying how democracy is
all very well, but if the voters get it wrong, the results are best left
to "experts". So basically the whole program is about one guy's wank
fantasy about knocking down buildings he doesn't like, and to cover this
up they have a sham vote to pretend that the public will get a say.

For this I've used up another two an a half seconds of my fifteen minutes.

Media folks: Pah. They're as bad as politicians. I should have known
better than to get involved with 'em.

FoFP