Computer v backing tapes

trev judge48 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 23 03:41:17 EST 2005

computers and backing tapes are evil

AND THERE CAME THE BEASTS AND KINGS WITH THEIR ARMIES AND THEIR CAPTAINS TO
MAKE WAR WITH HIM UPON THE HORSE AND TO MAKE WAR WITH HIS ARMIES AND HIS
EYES WERE AS A FLAME OF FIRE HE WAS CROWNED WITH MANY CROWNS AND IN
RIGHTEOUSNESS HE JUDGES AND IN RIGHTEOUSNESS HE WAGES WAR
http://www.judgetrev.com

so there!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Freight" <stevefreight at GMAIL.COM>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 7:09 AM
Subject: Computer v backing tapes

Re the various comments on use of computers etc for backing I can't see what
the problem is.

Bands have been using backing tapes for a number of years to enhance the
live experience - just because Hawkwind are now using computers does not
make it any less live - the band still play their instruments.

I appreciate that backing tapes do take away the ability to lengthen a song
and jam but hey, has anyone seen the Who. Do you realise that EVERY
live version of Won't Get Fooled Again is exactly the same length as they
have never been able to reproduce Pete's original demo backing track. Every
version does have a difernece though - That is the live effect of musicians
playing.

The same goes for Hawkwind. Right to Decide always had a backing track -
witness the Mark Radcliffe sessions where Mark admits it as it fades out!
Whenever I heard it live I did not worry as there were differences in the
versions. Assassins Of Allah is another example. and within the confines of
a song solos and parts can be mixed up to produce differing versions.

Hawkwind aren't Girls Aloud, thank goodness, and to critise a band for the
use of current technology to help Enhance (not replace) the live experience
is one that I can't understand.

At least the experience I had at the Astoria was of a full on concert
experience and anything that allows Dave free reign of the guitar is good in
my opinion. We know the band can play - just enjoy it!

Steve