HW: Astoria gig review

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 24 08:56:26 EST 2005

Alan said...

alan day <yadnala at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:    >Hi people,don't these shows just get better?Yes,They did the lot,still
>remembering a skanking Andria Android...definetly mental
  >
  >Oh,It's angela not andrea!(my wifes name)

  Yeah, and I listened again at the end for the additional verse, compared to what's on the CD, and I don't think I'm imagining it.  I can't remember the first three lines at all, but it's the one that ends up...

  "Here we go...here we go, again"

  Can anybody transcribe the rest of the final verse from any one of the live versions (Xmas '04 single or whatever) to put in with the other lyrics?

  I assume it's not on the album 'cause they have Lydia Lunch reprising one of the earlier stanzas in her, uh, unique style.  Actually, I rather like it, as it fits the theme of the song pretty darn well.  Is this her normal singing style?  What's her music like?

  Thanks to whoever posted the official Digital Nation lyrics.  I don't have any idea what release that is that has those lyrics printed, but I think they're the right ones.  As always, I heard some things incorrectly.

  Um...somebody said Arthur's Sunray lyrics are in the TMTYL booklet.  Not in mine, they're not.  Again, is this some other release I don't know about?  The one with the not-at-all-different-DVD tracklist, perhaps?  Anyway, I'd like to read them if anyone is willing to type em in or something.

  The Astoria gig was another cracking one, though not quite as good as the first two, IMHO.  The hall is just not a very good one, acoustically, though the upper balcony is a nice place to view the proceedings (just not loud enough up there for my tastes...or perhaps deafness).  The mix was never quite there all night...never enough of Richard, either vocally or especially his lower range drums (including kick-bass).  For that reason, it was an especially loud guitar-night, a bit too blaring without percussive punch at times.  Still, a great gig due to the amazingly strong set and energy therein, OHWA and Love in Space (ah...forgot to list that one in my out-of-sequence setlist last time...that's because it serves as a good bathroom/beer break).  Jez Huggett was only audible during bits of 7x7 (flute) and his sax finally got turned up later in some other track, AoA perhaps.  The dancers did essentially the same routines as before, the only difference to the visual show being the
 psychedelic orange-green dayglo mushroom garden over on stage right.

  Spacehead did a fine opening set, though they started just a few minutes after the doors opened, so nobody could get in to see the first couple songs.  Man were again without Deke Leonard (Josh son-of-Martin Ace filling in again, and not so convincingly).  They were much better a couple of years ago, when they were at least still semi-legit.  But anyway, better than nothing.  They played C'mon, Romaine, and a couple other tunes I can't remember the names of.

  Grakkl (in Amsterdam)

  P.S.  Black Widow has a compilation CD out of tracks by Standarte, Fantasyy Factoryy, Beggar's Farm, and one by Sundial.  One of the Beggar's Farm tracks is a cover of We Took the Wrong Step Years Ago.  Anyone have/heard this?  Is the CD worth getting?  On the subject of Sundial, I understand that there's a CD out there called Quad or something, by Gary Ramon in some other guise or something.  Is this also worth getting?  Is it new or old recording?

  P.P.S.  Et Sans, a spinoff band (one of many) of gybe! is supposedly interesting for krautrock fans.  Anybody heard this stuff?  Recommendations?