HW: Astoria gig review

Thu Dec 29 12:29:15 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 04:11:56PM -0500, Nick Medford typed out:
> I thought last night was absolutely magnificent. I almost didn't go- only
> bought my ticket the day before. I hadn't been to see HW for two years, and
> for some time have had the impression that the band were in terminal
> decline, an impression reinforced by the long-awaited but distinctly
> underwhelming (IMHO) new album.  Tom Byrne's post (hi Tom) on the other list
> saying it was the best he'd seen in 30 years made me sit up and take notice,
> and I then talked an old gig-going mate into it.

        This makes me sorry I didn't try harder to mke it myself. I let
shortage of cash and tiredness convince me that if I did go I wouldn't
enjoy it or give a fair review, but I wasn't actually expecting the cynics
to find it good. I'm sorry I missed it now, but glad to have the review. I
think that at the moment I am fairly solidly plotting to catch them at
Roadburn this year, along with whatever is left of the Ozrics and likewise
of the Bevis Frond. Seems like it's going to be alarmingly heavy on that
kind of `past glories' kind of acts but should clearly still be done for
all that.

        I'm glad Hawkwind have still got something to make people excited
anyway. I'd more or less decided there was no point in hoping for that by
now. Yours,
            Jon

ObCD: Harvey Bainbridge - _Red Shift_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk