Space rock on my mantlepiece

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Wed Feb 9 13:53:40 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "M Holmes" <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: Space rock on my mantlepiece

> Another thought on why Lunar meteorites may be relatively rare:
>
> With impacts of a certain size, chunks of the Moon might indeed
> be
> imparted lunar escape velocity, but might then go into Earth
> orbity

Wouldn't that lead to the equivalent of a ring of debris around the
Earth - I know there are loads of micro meteorites in orbit but
lunar debris lurking around?        Is it possible that Lunar
impacts produce dust rather than fragments or maybe Lunar fragments
that reach Earth are more likely to disintegrate when they hit the
atmosphere?

Just curious
jill