Space rock on my mantlepiece

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Feb 10 06:04:43 EST 2005

Jill Strobridge writes:

> [...]

It'd have to be an awfully big bang to produce a ring of stuff and a
bang that big would put most into solar orbit. I'm sure there will be
lunar debris floating around the Earth/Moon system but remember that a
lot of it would just get hoovered up by the Moon again.

> Is it possible that Lunar
> impacts produce dust rather than fragments or maybe Lunar fragments
> that reach Earth are more likely to disintegrate when they hit the
> atmosphere?

Could be. Obviously size is important as far as making it through the
atmosphere is concerned.

FoFP