Space rock on my mantlepiece

Arjan Hulsebos arjanh at WOLFPACK.NL
Thu Feb 10 13:14:25 EST 2005

M Holmes wrote:

>Since anything hit from the Earth/Moon orbit around the Sun into solar
>orbit is imparted a one-off acceleration, it will take up an orbit that
>intersects the Earth/Moon orbit twice a year, with appropriate
>opportunities for being hit by either.

Nah, the sun's gravitational field is three orders of magnitude weaker
than the earth's "around here", so anything that escapes the earth will
fly off into outer space if it's headed away from the sun. And even if
it's headed in the general direction of the sun, there's only a small
chance it'll wind up in an orbit around the sun.

I think it kinda like "you only have one shot...."

Gr,

Arjan H