BRAIN: London gig review

Tue Feb 22 08:25:36 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On 18-Feb-2005 11:54, Jon Jarrett wrote:
> > I think John Otway probably counts as a
> > quintessential English tourist attraction for any transatlantic visitors
> > :-)
>
> Perhaps if we want to destroy English tourism forever :)  Apologies to
> die hard fans, but as a person who had never encountered John Otway
> before, he's planted himself firmly in my Top 3 Worst Opening Acts of
> All Time list.  Whatever you need to appreciate 'im, I clearly ain't got it!

        Wow :-) Who's between him and Magic Michael then? (I mean, I
assume Magic Michael still holds the No. 1 slot... )

> Much though I know it's wrong to shout "me too", Jon's comments here are
> right on the mark.  Al has always been among the few drummers that have
> made me really sit up and _listen_ to what they're doing, and come to
> think of it, perhaps he's the only one of those I've actually seen live.

        I recommend seeing Clutch on this score as well. At least, when
they're on a bill where they have time to stretch out a bit; they don't
always Jean-Paul Gaster the drum breaks they should.

        And hey, I thought Carl Palmer was a fantastic drummer to *watch*
that time he supported BOC... Yours,
                                     Jon

--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)