Mountain Grill

Tue Feb 22 08:31:33 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Henderson Keith wrote:

        <snip>

> Does anybody know where the school playground with the jungle gym is? (from
> the photo collage of the band on the insert record sleeve)...I've expected
> to run into it (the playground, not necessarily the jungle gym itself, which
> has probably rusted away to nothing by now) while walking around the LG
> area, but not so far.

        It's almost certainly gone now I fear. The last few years have
seen a fairly wholesale replacement of children's play-areas (where they
haven't just been built over) and their equipment so as to have cushioned
tarmac to prevent (serious) injuries if a child falls. So if it had lasted
this long, it'd most likely have been replaced recently.

> If you take a (surface) train into Victoria station from the south (or vice
> versa), you'll go right past the old Battersea power station (unless it's
> fallen over already), which is famous from the Pink Floyd Animals cover art,
> among other things I imagine.  I remember my first time on this rail line,
> being half asleep and finally waking up to see this oddly familiar thing
> filling the whole window of the train car...I had to blink and rub my eyes
> for a minute to make sure I wasn't still dreaming.

        I go past that so much, it'd never occurred to me it was an
international landmark :-) I knew it from kids' TV years before I saw the
Floyd album. However even that gave me a brief "wow!" moment when I first
saw it for real. Wreck of a place, brings to mind bits of Anglo-Saxon
history about mistaking Roman ruins for buildings of giants... or perhaps
that's just to my mind. Anyway! Yours,
                                        Jon

ObCD: Ten Benson - _Satan Kidney Pie_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)