OFF: Hibachi Dealers, 23 Feb, Cambridge UK

Tue Feb 22 08:36:31 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

        <snip plug of tomorrow's gig>

> As Jon Jarrett can attest (having been at a previous gig where the set
> was mostly covers), we aren't very good -- but we are pretty loud :)
> We're ye olde vox/gtr/bass/drums line-up (I'm playing bass here: 1970s
> Rick 4001, natch! :) and I guess the originals fall into that sort of
> "weird heavy rock" category.  We do have one massive rip-off space-rock
> piece (complete with swooshy noises formed by twiddling the dials on an
> analogue delay pedal :)  Actually, there's audio and (partial) video of
> us playing that one linked from:
> <http://www.carlaz.com/music/dealers/index.html>

        That is actually a pretty flattering clip, although it does make
the, um, inspiration of the track fairly clear :-) In truth, this is not a
bad band except for one thing; the singer's good, the guitarist is fairly
flexible and naturally the bass player is excellent (that's a beer you owe
me Carl), unfortunately the drummer has to be one of the worst I've ever
seen :-) He makes all the drummer jokes I've ever heard make sense. Loud,
however, they got.

> ps - man, how uncool is that, to play with guys from yer office?!  Ah
> well, screw it: making loud noises is fun ... :)

        I think the biggest problem with this strategy is that you can't
fire anyone unless you can get your boss to do it. Will your boss employ
people on the basis of their musical talent do you suppose? :-) Yours,

Jon

--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)