Mountain Grill

Hawkfan hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 22 13:49:03 EST 2005

Thanks, I've been looking for an Anglo Saxon translation of Silver Machine
for ages.

Irritatingly (for the purposes of my rather feeble humour) although I found
an Old English translation of "machine", none of the Old English
dictionaries I found had a translation of "silver". There must surely be
one; I thought the Anglo Saxons excelled in gold and silver metalwork.

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: 22 February 2005 14:45
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: Mountain Grill

Wrætlic is þes wealstan; wyrde gebræcon, burgstede burston, brosnað enta
geweorc. Hrofas sind gehrorene, hreorge torras, hrungeat berofen,
            hrim on lime, scearde scurbeorge scorene, gedorene, aeldo
undereotone.                   Eorðgrop hafað waldendwyrhtan,
forweorone, geleorene heard gripe hrusan,                   oþ hund cnea
werþeoda gewitan. Oft þæs wag gebad, ræghar and readfah,
  rice  æfter oþrum, ofstondem under stormum; steap geap gedreas ....

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson