Mountain Grill

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Tue Feb 22 21:41:38 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:09:22PM +0000, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> "The city buildings
> fell apart, the works of giants crumble. Tumbled are the towers,
> ruined the roofs, and broken the barred gate; frost in the plaster, all
> the ceilings gape, torn and collapsed and eaten up by age ...."

"The north and the west and the south are good hunting ground, but
it is forbidden to go east. It is forbidden to go to any of the
Dead Places except to search for metal, and then he who touches
the metal must be a priest or the son of a priest. Afterwards,
both the man and the metal must be purified. These are the rules
and the laws; they are well made. It is forbidden to cross the
great river and look upon the place that was the Place of the
Gods -- this is most strictly forbidden. We do not even say its
name though we know its name. It is there that spirits live, and
demons -- it is there that there are the ashes of the Great
Burning. These things are forbidden -- they have been forbidden
since the beginning of time."
        - Stephen Vincent Benét, "By the Waters of Babylon"

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"