HW: Julian Cope on Hawkwind, stones and other wonders

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Fri Feb 25 18:45:30 EST 2005

Now that my email has come back to life again -   Here are a couple
of paragraphs culled from a somewhat rambling (though it does
contain the wonderful comment "If you really want to just go wooo,
and explore your inner moron: go to Sardinia") interview with
Julian Cope in this month's British Archaeology magazine.

"I think megaliths took over my life because they were specifically
not a part of my life.   My musical background was totally punk: we
always thought Hawkwind [at Stonehenge festivals] were hippies.
I'd been loathe to explore the Stonehenge route because of its
modern context.
I like Hawkwind as people - we sold them acid, a real coals to
Newcastle claim! - but my band [Teardrop Explodes] had grown up
with American West Coast bands, like the Grateful Dead, who were
really smart, so you could never dismiss them as dirty hippies.
It was almost like a Damascus conversion.   I was a big acid freak.
Gurdjieff sent me to the stones.   Looking back we were just
refuseniks because of what it had come to stand for.   The whole of
the Manchester-Liverpool punk scene was actually very very into
ancient culture."

The full article is probably on the website at
www.britarch.ac.uk/ba if anyone wants to read the whole thing!

jill