Philip Dick

Arin Komins akomins at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Jul 1 08:40:28 EDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Doug Pearson wrote:

:Subject: Re: Philip Dick
:
:On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:00:15 -0400, Drill <drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM>
:wrote:
:
:>Voiceover, what was that about, "these moments will be lost in time
:>like tears in the rain"? That's what he didn't like?
:
:The final release of the movie (Bladerunner) was semi-butchered at the
:studio's insistence (after PKD's death but before theatrical release).
:The suits thought it didn't make sense, hence the voiceover narration was
:added.  They thought it was depressing, so the happy ending was tacked on
:(which bugs me much more than the narration).  I haven't seen the
:director's cut (which "corrects" the studio's meddling), so I don't know
:whether or not it touches more on the all-important question (completely
:ignored in the theatrical version): Is Deckard, himself, a replicant?

I'm still waiting for the release with the third ending (the one where
Rachel kills herself because she is the last replicant.)

BTW, if you are interested in the making of the movie, Paul Sammon has a
fabulous book out there about it ("Future Noir: The Making of Blade
Runner"), as well as a series of articles prior to that books publication.

I did some research on the Making of in 1990 for a visual anthropology
class, and used a bunch of his research ;-)

Thanks,

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Assistant Director/ENSS
University of Chicago/NSIT/ENSS                 tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #418    Chicago, IL 60637      fax: (773)702-0559