(slightly) room with a soul

Mike Montfort mikemont at NYCAP.RR.COM
Wed Jul 20 23:23:31 EDT 2005

Great story Jill thanks for sharing that

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Jill Strobridge
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 4:33 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: HW: (slightly) room with a soul

For anyone interested in rock music memorabilia I recently spent a
night in the Beinn Inn Hotel (an old coaching inn at Glenfarg, near
Perth, Scotland).  I asked for a single room, as usual, and was
given the key to Room 11.      After wandering down some narrow
creaking winding corridors I found myself in slight annex off from
the main building in a room labelled the Stage Door and when I
entered was greeted with the astonishing sight of a low-ceilinged
room containing a huge double bed with a deep dark rich-red cover
and every square inch of the surrounding walls and ceiling covered
by posters, photographs and autographs of bands and rock musicians
from the 70s and 80s.     There were at least two electric guitars
preserved in glass fronted cabinets in obscure dark corners of the
room and two enormous flags (Stars and Stripes and Union Jack)
draped across the ceiling above the bed.    Several of the posters
were exotic psychedelic creations advertising the ?Monteray
Festival (I think) and all the photographs of famous rock musicians
playing on-stage were autographed.   Couldn't decide whether they
were all momentoes from people who had stayed at that hotel (and
slept in that room!) or whether they had been collected from
various Festivals but it was an overwhelming environment to spend
the night in.

Sadly no Hawkwind pics (I thought about offering some of my own!)
but there was a curiously contrived print of a "Rock Music Family
Tree" which was a huge bushy tree with broad trunk and spreading
roots entirely created from names of bands  - blues bands in the
roots then mainstream 60s 70s bands through psychedelia and rock
spreading out to folk music on one side and (can't remember what!)
on the other and modern bands at the top.    Anyhow HAWKWIND
occupies a prominent and central point in the main chunk of the
tree just before it begins spreading out.

See - it was a bit on topic!

cheers
jill