OFF: Gmail (Re: NIK: HW: Burg Herzberg etc.)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Jul 22 01:48:55 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 21:04 -0400, Drill wrote:
> The service is killer, compared with everything I've used in the past.
> No Spam, alot of user control and really well thought-out automatic
> organization of your messages. "Benevolently" what it does is scan
> your messages and fills about 1/18  of the screen with text blurbs and
> links to sponsors' pages. It's actually interesting even and hard to
> even notice if you don't want to. For example right now it thinks I
> like Fleetwood Mac and is helping me out by telling me where to
> download "billions of mp3s".  But shortly after I started using it I
> got a message from someone about a Japanese woodcut illustration and
> it showed me where to buy them. Wasn't in the market, but hey, if I
> was I would have looked at the vendor. For free anonymously subscribed
> webmail it's way better than the annoying ghettos I've known in the
> past let's say. 2Gigs storage, POP, sophisticated or plain HTML
> webmail, the works and it's not even officially released!  As for what
> they do for advertising if you use POP service I don't know yet since
> I don't get internet for my home computer right now.

I'm familiar with what Gmail is, having in my time fended off enough
people trying to foist invites on me. :-)  (They can't seem to
understand when I say "thanks, but no thanks.")  Worse still, we have
some folks in our lab who have interned with Google, and they come back
like proselytising zombies.  (It must be something Google puts in the
Kool-Aid.)  I'm glad you like the service.  It's amazing to me what a
corporation can buy for only 2 GiB of space...

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: I run my own mail server, with a few tens of GiB of space for my
e-mail.  Plus, I know that when I delete an e-mail, it really is
deleted.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"We know you will be very happy here.  Nobody has complained, yet..."
     --- Hawkwind, "Utopia"