The true sprit of Hawkwind

nick.lee2@virgin.net nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Fri Jul 22 10:32:32 EDT 2005

> > > I admit I did chuckle at people decrying "heresy!" at the mere thought
> > > of Space Ritual doing what they are doing, mainly because I remember
> > > most folks creaming themselves when the Hawkestra event was announced,
> > > and the attendant possibility of a "Lemmy-era" mini-set...
> >
> > Of which there is absolutley no comparison!
>
> I agree!  There's absolutely no comparison between a bunch of geezers
> trying to revisit a bygone era by playing a set of 1970-72 material,
> and, um... a bunch of geezers trying to revisit a bygone era by playing
> a set of 1973-75 material.  I mean, they're like, you know, completely
> different years for a start... ;-)
>
> (I guess the comparison you're making is that you believe one lot to
be
> crap, musically, and the other great.  That's a wholly different point
> to the one I was making.  Maybe the lesson to be taken away from all
of
> this is that Lemmy has a free pass to play an oldies set whenever he
> wants, but not Nik.:)

No, I think the difference was that it was the anticipation of seeing Dave,
Lemmy and Nik (plus Simon, Del, Dik Mik maybe even Simon King - until close
to the time we didn't really know who was going to show at the Hawkestra)
playing these oldies as opposed to to Nik and a bunch of guys who's stay
in the band was fairly fleeting and who didn't write all these classics*.

Nick

* Crimble and Anderson's claims in recent biographies not withstanding ;-)