The true Spirit of Hawkwind - I'll have a double!

Maxine Wesley maxine.wesley at PORT.AC.UK
Fri Jul 22 10:58:42 EDT 2005

> From: GutterCat at AOL.COM
> Subject: Re: NIK - Space Ritual

> alan.taylor96 at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK writes:
>
> It's a load of old dreck. It beggars belief that some still think
> that this 5 or 6/7ths-ish of the original band can legitmately lay
> claim to the Hawkwind name. To hell with the 'true spirit of
> Hawkwind', I'm with Brock Davey and Chadwick all the way.
Hurrah and thrice hurrah!
> I guess it's for people stuck in the past who firmly believe that
> "those were the days".
I don't even think people who thought 'those were the days' would
appreciate what Nik is doing... with the exception (perhaps) of Lonnie
Donnegan or Chic Korea (on acid)?
>What I keep telling people who ask me about
> Hawkwind is about posts to the lists when they are on tour. That
> people have been seeing them for over 30 years and those people
are
> saying that the gig they have just seen was the best.
When i mention HAwkwind people tend to respond with one or more of
the following:
1. "Ah! Hawkwind!, Silver Machine!",
2. "Are they still going?'
3. "I saw them in 197x (or whatever year - normally late 70's early
eighties)
4. "They were great"
My response: "They're better now...You should see them now they can
play their instruments!!" (you might think that demeans them as they
were but I am trying to make the point (For me)... Hawkwind have
evolved, and improved.
There are some who won't consider venturing to a HW gig now - for
them HW was the time of their youths and they are fixed with an image
of what they saw then, (for better or for worse) - & sadly there is little
'evidence' of what HW have been to convince them to have another
look - live recordings (that i am privvy to) have never reflected their
ability to spell bind an audience...on top form... if only you could
capture the sound & spirit of a HW concert and bottle it, I'd drink it!!?
cheers
Maxine